This is not the first time that our building has provided a facility for new mothers and babies! We recently discovered that St Pelagia’s House for destitute girls was founded in 1889 at No 25 Bickerton Road, Upper Holloway, by the Roman Catholic order of the Sisters Servants of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary. It provided accommodation for unmarried mothers and their first-born babies, who were allowed to enter the home when the child was a fortnight old. The girls were admitted free of charge on condition that they contributed to the earning power of the home by working in the laundry
This is the mission statement of the nuns who started St Pelagias Home
We, Sisters of the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary, urged by the compassion of Christ and responsive to the anguish of peoples and planet, are called to help shape communities of gentleness, justice and peace that witness to the healing, liberating and empowering love of God.
Bickerton House is now a family owned business which has supported the development of the Active Birth Centre since we first moved here in 1985, when we were the first tenants to use the premises as a studio and consulting room. Studio and office space in the building vary in size from 100 sq ft up to 1,000 sq ft and become available from time to time.