The yoga classes were superb and gave me so much to take with me into labour. Having had this experience I can’t imagine how women manage without it. I felt calm and in control most of the time. Even at the stormiest moments my yoga breathing was a life line.
Where, When and How Much?
We recommend regular weekly attendance throughout your pregnancy starting at any time after 13 weeks up until your estimated due date. All classes need to be booked in advance
- Janet Balaskas teaches Tuesday evenings (7-9pm)
- Lynn Murphy teaches Wednesday evenings (7-9pm)
The cost for all classes is £20 per class or £90 for five classes (10% discount)
Tuesdays 7.00 – 9.00pm with Janet Balaskas:
Wednesdays 7.00 – 9.00pm with Lynn Murphy:
Classes are booked separately for Janet Balaskas or Lynn Murphy; bookings are non-transferrable between teachers.
Daytime class (starting March 1st)
Tuesdays 1.00 – 3.00pm with Janet Balaskas:
Please note there is no daytime class on the 22nd and 29th March
Couples Yoga for Active Birth
with Janet Balaskas
This a mini workshop which is held every 8 weeks instead of the usual (women only) Tuesday evening class. Please note that the April Couples Yoga as an exception will be on Sunday morning 3rd April. Come with your partner or on your own.
Book for Couples Yoga
- Sunday 3rd April 2016 (11.00 – 1.30) Book Online
- Tuesday 31st May 2016 (7.00 – 9.30) Book Online
- Tuesday 26th July 2016 (7.00 – 9.30) Book Online
- Tuesday 27th September 2016 (7.00 – 9.30) Book Online
- Tuesday 29th November 2016 (7.00 – 9.30) Book Online
Book by Email: email@example.com
Book by Phone, Call: 0208 3610124
Scroll down for our cancellation and refund policy
About your Teachers
Janet Balaskas is the pioneer of pregnancy yoga and has taught and inspired teachers all over the world. She brings her unique wisdom, warmth and experience to these inspirational pregnancy yoga classes which bring you all the benefits of yoga as well as preparation for your birth. They are designed to help you to develop a regular practice with a focus on the most essential postures and to be compatible with Active Birth and HypnoBirthing courses. You benefit from a deep yoga class to ease body and mind, in addition to breathing, relaxation, visualisation, Active Birth and self hypnosis techniques.
Lynn Murphy has been working alongside Janet for eightteen years and brings a warm and supportive presence to her classes. She has a unique and elegant teaching style, grounded in years of personal practice, with great attention to detail which will help you have a more relaxed and comfortable pregnancy and an easier, calmer birth. Her classes bring together the breath, relaxation, active birth philosophy and techniques and carefully chosen yoga poses, interwoven with guidance that will prepare you beautifully for labour and birth.
What makes our classes unique?
* A 2 hour class in beautiful peaceful environment.
* A consistent group rather than a ‘drop in’ gives you more much support.
* Carefully controlled numbers ensure your safety and that your particular needs are met.
* Individual attention from wonderful, experienced teachers. We are expert yoga, ante and postnatal teachers.
* Our booking system encourages you to come regularly, which is essential for you to develop ‘body memory’.
* We include guidance for birth in addition to a good relaxing stretch.
* Plenty of guidance about Active Birth Positions, touch and partner work.
* A deeper, more focused approach to breathing and relaxation in the postures.
* Yoga is supported with a full antenatal and postnatal programme to include your partner.
* A very comfortable and spacious environment with all the equipment you need.
* Teachers who know how to help you if you have pelvic pain or spinal problems.
* Our own in-house complementary therapy clinic specialising in pregnancy treatments.
* Local unrestricted parking.
Our Cancellation and refund policy
Once you have made your booking, the place/places are held for you and are non-refundable or transferable. Please do not request a refund or transfer if you are unwell or unexpectedly unable to attend. * See options below
The only exception is in circumstances such as admission to hospital or baby being born early, in which case you need to let your teacher know as soon as possible. If you have an unpredictable work schedule and might miss some classes, it may be better to book single classes than a discounted block.
* If you have to miss a booked class there are some options
1. If we are fully booked with a waitlist and you are not coming to a class, do email us at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible to let us know. If there is sufficient time and we do manage to fill your place from the waitlist, we will roll your booked class over to the next available class before your dues date and inform you that we have done so by return email. This will not be possible if the next available class is after your due date or if there is no waitlist.
2. You are welcome sell your booking to a pregnant friend who is not currently a class member, and have them turn up in your place on the day. No need to contact the teacher, just ask them to inform us on arrival.
3.You can also bring a pregnant friend along with you to the next class, who can pay you instead of us, to make up for the missed class fee (one class only and please inform your teacher).
Thank you for your co-operation. We appreciate that you don’t ask us to make exceptions. This policy was created with your best interests in mind and to make the system manageable for us and class numbers consistent.
When we are away
Classes are continuous throughout the year with the exception of Christmas, New Year and the Easter weekend, when we are closed. If your teacher is away, you can rest assured that our locum teachers are hand picked to be a good replacement for us and we are sure you will benefit and be inspired by their teaching and knowledge. One of our main locum’s is Lola Alcarez Perez who is a highly experienced Pregnancy Yoga and Active Birth teacher and a doula. She brings a special warmth and depth of knowledge to the classes, which women always appreciate.
Find out more: Couple Yoga Workshop
After many years of working as a nurse, when I became pregnant with my first child I started to practise yoga. This was triggered by Janet Balaskas’ Active Birth book which my best friend gave to me with the recommendation “… this is all you need. Don’t read any other book.” And she was absolutely right. Everything in that book made total sense to me. I practised yoga. I swam. I rested. I went for walks. Everything I did for myself, I did for my baby. In my husband’s eyes I was beautiful – and I felt beautiful. I also felt strong and powerful. I was so happy. And it was in this state of happiness that I went into labour and had what I could only describe at the time as ‘the most beautiful experience ever’.