Learn at the Birth Place of Pregnancy Yoga
The Active Birth Centre is the place where Pregnancy Yoga was first invented, a system of Yoga practice that was pioneered by Janet Balaskas as a ‘body centred’ way to prepare for an Active Birth in the late 1970’s. This has influenced the explosion of Pregnancy Yoga we are seeing across the world today. We are inspired by the gentle approach to Yoga of Vanda Scaravelli and Sandra Sabatini which allows the body to soften, release, lengthen and find its roots with the earth through breathing. In pregnancy this enhances the natural blossoming of motherhood and makes space for the growing baby.
What makes our classes unique?
* A 2 hour class in beautiful peaceful environment.
* A consistent group rather than a ‘drop in’ gives you more much support.
* Carefully controlled numbers ensure your safety and that your particular needs are met.
* Individual attention from wonderful, experienced teachers. We are expert yoga, ante and postnatal teachers.
* Our booking system encourages you to come regularly, which is essential for you to develop ‘body memory’.
* We include guidance for birth in addition to a good relaxing stretch.
* Plenty of guidance about Active Birth Positions, touch and partner work.
* A deeper, more focused approach to breathing and relaxation in the postures.
* Yoga is supported with a full antenatal and postnatal programme to include your partner.
* A very comfortable and spacious environment with all the equipment you need.
* Teachers who know how to help you if you have pelvic pain or spinal problems.
* Our own in-house complementary therapy clinic specialising in pregnancy treatments.
* Local unrestricted parking.
Pregnancy Yoga Classes at The Active Birth Centre
We offer three kinds of yoga classes at the Active Birth Centre:
Our regular Pregnancy Yoga Classes are held every week at the Active Birth Centre in North London (find us).
Classes are booked separately for Janet Balaskas or Lynn Murphy; bookings are non-transferrable between teachers.
Janet Balaskas teaches on Tuesdays (1-3pm) and evenings (7-9pm)
Lynn Murphy teaches Wednesday evenings (7-9pm)
The cost for all classes is £20 per class or £90 for five classes (10% discount)
Book Tuesdays 1-3 pm with Janet Balaskas:
PLEASE NOTE THERE WILL BE NO DAYTIME CLASS ON THE 4TH & 11TH APRIL.
ALL OTHER CLASSES AS USUAL. DAYTIME CLASS RESUMES ON THE 18TH APRIL.
Book Tuesdays 7-9 pm with Janet Balaskas:
Book Wednesdays 7-9 pm with Lynn Murphy:
Book Couples Yoga for Active Birth with Janet Balaskas
This is a mini workshop with Janet Balaskas which is held every 8 weeks instead of the usual (women only) Tuesday evening class (with the exception of the April course which is on a Sunday morning) on the following dates:
- Tuesday 27th September 2016 (7.00 – 9.30) Book Online
- Tuesday 29th November 2016 (7.00 – 9.30) Book Online
Book by Email: email@example.com
Book by Phone: 0208 3610124
Scroll down to the bottom of the page for our refund and cancellation policy
Pregnancy Yoga classes at the Active Birth Centre are held in light, spacious and comfortable room with all the props you could need and are taught by Janet Balaskas and Lynn Murphy. Their classes are infused with their passion, wisdom and gentleness, offering expert Yoga guidance rooted in the philosophy of Active Birth.
While becoming more and more relaxed, strong and flexible, you will be learning about labour and birth, and because you’re doing this while in the meditative state of Yoga, your body will effortlessly draw on the techniques you have learnt when you are in labour.
This is the genius of these classes, they give you all the calming and relaxing benefits of Yoga and take you to the deep well of stillness inside where you can connect with the instinctual knowing that will guide you through birth.
Discovering the Active Birth Centre has been a true blessing. I find the yoga classes amazingly inspirational, giving me confidence and motivation and helping me to tune into the power of being a woman.
Over the weeks this has a transformative effect, reducing fear and anxiety, making you calmer and more comfortable – able to take yourself into a deep state of relaxation at any time you need to, through the art of breathing. This is not only a wonderful way to prepare for birth and mothering, it is also a life changing skill.
Our classes are safe and approved by midwives and doctors. We are experts in our field and will know how to help your specific needs or issues. Regular weekly attendance is recommended and you can start any time after 13 weeks. Classes include time for refreshments and a chat, and women who have been to the classes in pregnancy come back with their new babies to share their experiences with other women over a cup of tea. When we are away, our locum teachers have a similar approach, training and experience.
Our Cancellation and refund policy
Once you have made your booking, the place/places are held for you and are non-refundable or transferable. Please do not request a refund or transfer if you are unwell or unexpectedly unable to attend. * See options below
The only exception is in circumstances such as admission to hospital or baby being born early, in which case you need to let your teacher know as soon as possible. If you have an unpredictable work schedule and might miss some classes, it may be better to book single classes than a discounted block.
* If you have to miss a booked class there are some options
1. If we are fully booked with a waitlist and you are not coming to a class, do email us at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible to let us know. If there is sufficient time and we do manage to fill your place from the waitlist, we will roll your booked class over to the next available class before your dues date and inform you that we have done so by return email. This will not be possible if the next available class is after your due date or if there is no waitlist.
2. You are welcome sell your booking to a pregnant friend who is not currently a class member, and have them turn up in your place on the day. No need to contact the teacher, just ask them to inform us on arrival.
3.You can also bring a pregnant friend along with you to the next class, who can pay you instead of us, to make up for the missed class fee (one class only and please inform your teacher).
Thank you for your co-operation. We appreciate that you don’t ask us to make exceptions. This policy was created with your best interests in mind and to make the system manageable for us and class numbers consistent.